Sunday, January 15, 2012

Do Life 12 Week Challenge Week 2 Recap

I was pumped for Week 2 of this challenge, however I'm disappointed in how my week actually played out. But you will have that, and I'm not going to dwell on it, just move forward.

Challenges: I was not feeling up to par (read: I felt like shit) the last part of the week and therefore didn't meet the exercise minutes requirement :( I HATE that this happened, I seriously dislike not conquering something put before me. But it makes me think of one of my favorite quotes "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" by Winston Churchill. Making enough time to work out was another challenge, I know this is an issue everyone faces - this first full week back at work/first week of classes for students was insane and I was exhausted much of the time. I'm learning though, that even when I'm tired if I work out I feel better and actually have more energy.

Onto the Challenge recap...

Week Two Theme: Paying it Forward.

Ben from Do Life's words: How many times have you been having a crummy day and all of a sudden someone does something for you or says something to you and it completely changes your day? Perhaps it doesn't happen enough, and that's where this week comes in. For these things to happen on a more frequent basis, we have to be ready to be the ones to do it. Being fit and doing life is more than exercising. We're still gonna rock our bodies this week, but we're also going to be mindful of others.

This week is all about perhaps pushing ourselves outside our comfort zone. You can't be afraid to do it. Well, you can be afraid, but you also have to be willing to face that fear.

WEEK TWO CHALLENGES:
(Since we're all at different places in our health and fitness journeys, there will be some differing challenges.)
Do something out of the ordinary for a stranger. Find a way to brighten someone's day. Pay for an elderly couple's meal at the restaurant. Give a homeless man a blanket. Volunteer. Compliment someone. Do something out of your way. Something, maybe, you've never done before.

So I'm trying to figure out how I read this challenge early in the week and didn't even read it properly as all that was in the forefront of my brain was "Pay It Forward." So that's what I did. My boss needed someone to take her to a doctor's appointment so I volunteered. So while I did pay it forward I did not do anything for a stranger, that I can think of.

Do something else. Yep, that's (at least) two times this week, you'll be going out of your way.

I also asked my sister to meet me at the gas station and filled up her gas tank for her as my second pay it forward.

Reassess your pushups (or plank) today or tomorrow. And keep working them. There are pushup and plank plans all over the internet, or make up your own. Stick with it!

I did not reassess my pushups, however I did do 2 crossfit workouts this week that included plenty of pushups.

Reassess your goals. Where are you? How are you doing? Do you need to change anything?

I'm doing just okay with my goals. I believe they are still good, achievable goals, this week was just difficult.


Beginners: 150 minutes of exercise (or 20 minutes more than you did last week).
Intermediate/Advanced: 30 extra minutes of intense work like last week + 200 jumping jacks. (all at once or spread out)

And here's where I flaked out. I worked out Tues and Thurs this week. Tues I walked to the gym - it was actually too icy out to run - and then did 2 repeats of a Crossfit workout for a total of 40 minutes. Thursday I ran to the gym, did one repeat of the Crossfit workout and ran back home for a total of 30 minutes. On Sunday I cleaned/did floors and mopped for about 30 to 40 minutes, for me that does not count as exercise, but it does count for being up and doing physical activity. So a total of 70 minutes of exercise and 30 - 40 minutes physical activity.


Write four things you did well. Every night before bed.

Didn't do it! I suck at this part. I will try to do better on this, I don't know why it's so hard to manage to get this done, it should be easy.

So there you have it. I meant to take a pic of my sister and her car at the gas station, totally forgot. Something else that had me busy this weekend besides not feeling well was dog/house sitting and I do have one picture, this is Luke. He's a really good boy and I love taking care of him.

Week 3 coming up. Looking forward to having Martin Luther King Jr. Day off tomorrow and taking some time to ready myself mentally for coming back with a vengeance and making this week my bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment